- Prospective Students
- OMPH Students
- Current Students
- New Students
- OMPH Tracks
- Epidemiology and Biostatistics (OHSU)
- Health Management & Policy (PSU)
- Health Promotion (PSU)
- Primary Health Care & Health Disparities (OHSU)
- Biostatistics (OSU)
- Environmental and Occupational Health & Safety (OSU)
- Epidemiology (OSU)
- Health Management & Policy (OSU)
- Health Promotion & Health Behavior (OSU)
- International Health (OSU)
- Environmental Systems and Human Health (Pending Approvals)
- Student Activities
- Student Awards
- Tuition and Funding
- Careers and Opportunities
- News and Events
- Frequently Asked Questions
Graduate Certificates in Public Health (online)
Contributing to the health of Oregonians and beyond by ensuring an adequately prepared public health workforce.
The Graduate Certificate in Public Health (GCPH) is entirely online (download flyer). The GCPH program content is designed to enhance the preparation of public health professionals not currently prepared in a public health academic specialty, and provide a broad introduction to public health for students. Students who successfully complete the GCPH are eligible to apply to the OMPH on any campus and to any track to complete a Master of Public Health. The GCPH is open to applicants with a bachelor's degree in any discipline.
There is an identified urgent and ongoing need for suitable public health preparation in the current workforce. The GCPH will provide you an exceptional foundation that will enhance your:
- Marketable public health expertise
- Professional flexibility and mobility
- Core public health competencies
Upon completion of the GCPH, students will demonstrate knowledge and skills related to public health practice that includes the ability to:
- Apply evidence-based knowledge of health determinants to public health issues
- Select and employ appropriate methods of design, analysis, and synthesis to address population based health problems
- Integrate understanding of the interrelationship among the organization, delivery, and financing of health-related services
- Communicate public health principles and concepts through various strategies across multiple sectors of the community
- Employ ethical principles and behaviors
- Enact cultural competence and promote diversity in public health research and practice
- Apply public health knowledge and skills in practical settings
GCPH Program of Study
The GCPH requires 19 quarter credit hours of study which can be pursued on a part-time basis. The courses within this program provide opportunities for learning about epidemiology and biostatistics, environmental health, health care improvement strategies and health behavior, health policy development, and the organizational basis of the health care system. The GCPH Curriculum includes:
Introduction to Biostatistics
Principles of Health Behavior
Concepts of Environmental & Occupational Health
Health Systems Organization
Professionalism, Ethics & Systems Thinking in Public Health or Program Evaluation in Public Health
Students successfully completing the GCPH will be eligible to apply for matriculation into any track within the Oregon MPH Program and, if accepted, will have the 19 credits of coursework applied to their MPH program.
The GCPH is currently being offered through our partner, Oregon Health & Science University School of Nursing. Applications are now being accepted.
Prospective students (both within Oregon and without) may enroll in the GCPH as a means of continuing education, in preparation for a career in public health, and/or as a first step toward a full MPH degree.
- Bachelor degree in any subject from a regionally accredited institution (nursing or medical degree not required
- No previous public health experienced required
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- GRE or standardized test scores not required (GRE also waived for students in good standing who choose to go on for a full MPH in the Oregon MPH program
- Admissions 503-494-7725
- You will apply directly to our partner, the Oregon Health & Science University School of Nursing (OSHU SoN). The online application can be found on this page: http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/schools/school-of-nursing/admissions/masters_public_health_prereqs.cfm
- Once you begin the online application, from the drop-down menu you will select the application type "Nursing OMPH Primary Hlth Care". Later you will be able to select the Graduate Certificate option.
- Please contact the admissions office at OHSU SoN (contact information below) for assistance with your application.
GCPH Contact information
- For more admission information call the OHSU SoN admissions office at 503-494-7725, for more information go here.
- For curricular and program questions please contact Dr. Deb Messecar at OHSU School of Nursing: email@example.com.
- For general questions about the OMPH Program please contact Alison Schneiger, OMPH Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Graduate Certificate in Public Health online program at Oregon State University is designed for public health practitioners and others seeking professional development and continuing education within the field of public health. The program focuses on the five core areas of public health: epidemiology, biostatistics, health promotion and behavior, environmental and occupational health, and health management and policy.
For more information on the GCPH offered through the OSU Ecampus, please click here.